[news-l-38] J-PARC newsletter#21

From: Shin'ya SAWADA (shinya.sawada@kek.jp)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 10:57:44 JST

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                    J-PARC Project Newsletter

               _______ No. 21 August, 2005_______

          High Intensity Proton Accelerator Project proposed jointly
          by the Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute (JAERI)
          and the High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK)
          http://j-parc.jp/index-e.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 HEADLINES AND CONTENTS

1. <<Overview>>

    .UPSTREAM LINAC ELEMENTS ARRIVED AT TOKAI FROM TSUKUBA
    .AGREEMENT BETWEEN KEK AND JAERI ON THE CREATION OF THE "
     J-PARC CENTER" WAS SIGNED IN EARLY AUGUST.
    .BUDGET NEGOTIATION FOR JFY2006 STARTED.

2. <<Accelerator Group>>

    .THE RFQ LINAC AND DTL WERE TRANSPORTED FROM KEK
     TSUKUBA SITE TO JAERI TOKAI SITE.

3. <<Nuclear and Particle Physics Group>>

    .PREPARATION OF BEAM MONITORS IN PROGRESS.

4. <<Neutron Science Group>>

   .PRESSURE WAVE MITIGATION EFFECT WAS DEMONSTRATED BY AN
    EXPERIMENT DONE AT LANSCE/WNR USING A MERCURY LOOP
    TARGET WITH PULSED PROTON INJECTION.

5. <<Muon Science Group>>

    .CALL FOR THE LETTERS OF INTENT FOR MUON SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS
     WILL BE DISTRIBUTED SHORTLY.

6. <<Nuclear Transmutation Facility Group>>

    .R&D ACTIVITIES FOR THE TRANSMUTATION EXPERIMENTAL FACILITY.

7. <<Radiation Safety Group>>

     .APPLICATION FOR RADIATION LICENCE TO MEXT IN PROGRESS.

8. <<Integrated Control Group>>

    .SOFTWARE IS BEING DEVELOPED AT TOKAI SITE.

9.<<J-PARC Information System Group >>

    .CONNECTING TO Super-SINET

10. <<Announcement of Symposia and Meetings>>

11. <<Editorial Note>>

    .Subscribe or Unsubscribe.

1. <<Overview>> By Shoji NAGAMIYA

        .UPSTREAM LINAC ELEMENTS ARRIVED AT TOKAI FROM TSUKUBA.

          During the period of civil construction of the accelerator
buildings at the Tokai site, many important elements of the accelerators,
such as RFQ, Drift Tube Linac (DTL), Separated DTL (SDTL), etc. have
been constructed and tested successfully at the Tsukuba Campus of KEK.
At the end of June and at the beginning of July this year, these elements
were shipped safely from Tsukuba to Tokai. At Tokai, the Linac building is
now completed. Electric power supplies and klystrons have been installed
gradually on the upper-level tunnel of the Linac Building, and the upstream
accelerator elements have started to be installed on the lower-level
tunnel of the Linac. By setting a goal of having the first beam from the
Linac in early fall of 2006, the installation of Linac elements is now
steadily in progress.

          Installation of accelerator elements into the 3 GeV and 50
GeV rings will be started soon. Since the 3 GeV Building is almost
completed, a partial installation has been started already at 3 GeV.

      .AGREEMENT BETWEEN KEK AND JAERI ON THE CREATION OF
       THE "J-PARC CENTER" WAS SIGNED IN EARLY AUGUST.

          During the past few years extensive discussions on the creation
of the organizational structure at the operational stage of the J-PARC
have been conducted between KEK and JAERI. Recently, both organizations
finally reached an agreement on the basic structure of this new
organization, called the "J-PARC Center". On August 8, the KEK Director
General and the JAERI President together signed the Agreement for the
establishment of this J-PARC Center. Based on this Agreement, the
J-PARC Center will begin partial functions in the spring of 2006.

       .BUDGET NEGOTIATION FOR JFY2006 STARTED.

          Every year at this season a serious budget negotiation between
the Project Team and the Government is initiated. This year, several review
committees were already formed to review the J-PARC. Among those a new
review point was on the direct influence of the J-PARC science on the
society, such as an industrial usage, etc. Neutron sciences have been the
highlights in this review.

          Because we plan to complete the Phase 1 project within JFY2007, a
sufficient funding for JFY2006 is needed to ensure its timely completion.
The Government also understands it, whereas the budget negotiation is always
tough and hard.

2. <<Accelerator Group>> by Yoshisige YAMAZAKI

       .THE RFQ LINAC AND DTL WERE TRANSPORTED FROM KEK
        TSUKUBA SITE TO JAERI TOKAI SITE.

          The RFQ linac cavity and the drift-tube-linac (DTL) tanks (the
first DTL tank, which accelerates the beams to 20 MeV, among three tanks,
and one third of the second DTL tank) were transported from KEK to JAERI
Tokai site on July 6th and June 27th, respectively. Since both of them have
already been powered and beam-tested, their inner surfaces are so active
as to be easily oxidized if exposed to the air, resulting in the
degradation of their Q values, sometimes down to several tens of percent.
Special care has been taken by introducing dry nitrogen gas to the inside,
when their vacuum was opened up before transportation. With this special
care, no Q-value degradation was observed. The DTL tanks have another
problem. Since the drift tubes are very heavy, containing the quadrupole
magnets, which were suspended like pendulums on stems with an accuracy
of 50 microns. One may easily imagine that the mechanical shock during
the transportation would result in shifts of the drift tubes. The measured
kick was only 0.4 g by careful driving with a special type of truck.
This amount of kick is sufficiently small to prevent any shift of the
drift tubes, which will be confirmed later through field distribution
measurements.

Photographs of the transportations are presented in Japanese at
http://j-parc.jp/ja/news/2005/news-j0507.html#DTL

Photograph of the DTL is presented in English at
http://j-parc.jp/Acc/en/index.html

3. <<Nuclear and Particle Physics Group>> by Jun IMAZATO

       .PREPARATION OF BEAM MONITORS IN PROGRESS.

          The monitoring of the primary proton beams for slow extraction
as well as for fast extraction must be one of the reliable operating
techniques at the high-intensity beam facility. They should be
beam-non-destructive. The nuclear and particle physics group has been
developing intensity monitors and profile monitors by testing several
possible candidate types. Recently, a prototype model of a residual gas beam
profile monitor (RGBPM) for the slow beam has been successfully tested at
the KEK 12-GeV proton synchrotron. It was demonstrated that a good profile
resolution could be obtained comparable to a segmented parallel ion chamber
by applying a weak magnetic field in the drift direction. Manufacturing will
follow soon after final design. A profile monitor for the higher-vacuum line
will be realized by means of optical transition radiation (OTR). The
observation of a 2-dimensional OTR picture and its analysis have also
recently been carried out successfully. Developments are also going on for
the fast beam using the KEK 500-MeV rapid cycling booster. As for beam
position monitoring, two types of detectors (an electrostatic monitor (ESM)
and a loop pickup monitor (LPM)) have been tried and evaluated. We will
soon proceed to the final production of an LPM. These R&D data
have also been shared with other groups as useful information. A
workshop was held on July 1 and issues on profile monitors were intensively
discussed.

4. <<Neutron Science Group>> by Yujiro IKEDA
   (Materials & Life Science Experimental Facility Group)

       .PRESSURE WAVE MITIGATION EFFECT WAS DEMONSTRATED BY AN
       EXPERIMENT DONE AT LANSCE/WNR USING A MERCURY LOOP
       TARGET WITH PULSED PROTON INJECTION.

          Construction of the Materials & Life Science Experimental Facility
building has progressed almost on schedule. Steel frames of the building
were assembled at more than two thirds of the whole area. The outline of
the building is becoming clear.

          The sink rate has been regularly monitored as the structure
construction progresses. Up to now, a non-uniform sink is confirmed
although the sink rate is about a factor of two higher than expected before
the construction started.

          Under the collaboration framework between the US-DOE and JAERI
on the MW class spallation source, a pressure wave mitigation test was
conducted for a mercury target with a proton beam using LANSCE/WNR in June
and July. The JAERI team successfully measured the dynamic response due to
the pressure waves in the mercury target with a Laser Doppler vibrometer,
which clearly indicates the effect of He bubbling in mercury on the
mitigation of pressure. It is deemed the first step to solve the pressure
wave issue.

          A design review is under way for the neutron instruments via both
internal and outside reviewer's comments. The first technical review
for the two instruments to be constructed by Ibaraki prefecture was
performed.

          The budget profile for the MLF operation has been investigated.
The present summary was reviewed by the international experts as a
part of the whole J-PARC operation scheme review in August.

          A cost of the neutron beam use is being studied with respect to
the total operation cost for the neutron beam production.

5. <<Muon Science Group>> by Yasuhiro MIYAKE

       .CALL FOR THE LETTERS OF INTENT FOR MUON SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS
       WILL BE DISTRIBUTED SHORTLY.

          A letter from the J-PARC Director (Professor S. Nagamiya) will
be distributed to the world shortly, calling for Letters of Intent for
Muon Science Experiments at the Muon Facility in the Material and Life
Science Facility. The purpose of the call for LoI is to encourage those
groups who want to install major instruments and/or beam lines at the
muon facility to state their own intentions and to optimize the layout
of the secondary beam line and facilities. The LoI will be discussed at the
Muon Science Advisory Committee (MuSAC). Applications from all over the
world are welcome.

          For Phase 1, we are going to install one graphite target, from
which four secondary lines (one decay muon channel, one high
momentum line and two surface muon channels) can be extracted to the
two experimental halls. In order to satisfy the requirements for the inlet
and outlet of the primary 3 GeV line and 4 secondary lines,
we designed a specialized target and scraper chamber. In our design
concept, taking into account the ease of remote handling during
maintenance work, the two sets of scrapers and the muon production
target are to be contained in one large vacuum chamber. All the water
and cable connections will be done at the top in the maintenance area.
Consideration is being given to the means of mounting the target, how to
move and insert the target with the required precision, cooling,
monitoring, and changing the target in the hot-cell. We completed
its design by September 2004, and then, in December 2004, we submitted it
for international bidding, and finally placed an order to
Hitachi Engineering Co. Ltd at the end of May 2005.

6. <<Nuclear Transmutation Facility Group>> by Hiroyuki OIGAWA

       .R&D ACTIVITIES FOR THE TRANSMUTATION EXPERIMENTAL FACILITY.

          In the Transmutation Experimental Facility (TEF), the laser charge
exchange technique (LCET) will be used for the extraction of a 10W proton
beam from a 600MeV-200kW negative ion proton beam. The 10W beam will
be transported to the Transmutation Physics Experimental Facility (TEF-P).
To examine the reliability and efficiency of LCET, a YAG(Nd) laser device
was installed at the negative ion source facility of JAERI. The test is
underway. As for the R&D on the ADS Target Test Facility (TEF-T),
corrosion tests of various steels in pots were conducted in Pb-Bi under
conditions of low oxygen concentration. It has been found that the
corrosion depth of 316SS(Japanese Industrial Standard) is estimated to be
above 1mm/year in Pb-Bi with 3E-9 wt % oxygen at 550 degree C.

7. <<Radiation Safety Group>>
                        by Hideo HIRAYAMA and Hiroshi NAKASHIMA

       .APPLICATION FOR RADIATION LICENCE TO MEXT IN PROGRESS.

          The first radiation facilities at J-PARC will be the LINAC and
the Switchyard in the Hadron Facility: the former will be started in July
2006 and the latter in March 2006. Application for a license of the
radiation facilities is planned to be submitted within a few months to the
Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).
Before the application, JAERI and KEK will conclude the radiation-safety
agreement.

          In the last a few years, the possibility of use of
recycled-iron for shielding has been discussed from the points of view
of cost and radiation regulations. Test pieces for the analysis of
radioisotopes were sent by Duratek Inc., USA. The identification of
radioisotopes and its activity is now underway.

          The 5th expert committee on the MLF neutron source was held on
12th July. In the committee, the following items were reviewed: the
radiation safety design for a gaseous radioactive-waste treatment equipment,
an interlock system for the mercury target system, and the radiation safety
analysis under normal and abnormal operation. In the next meeting, a report
from this committee will be completed.

8. <<Integrated Control Group>> by Tadahiko KATOH

       .SOFTWARE IS BEING DEVELOPED AT TOKAI SITE.

          The software for the J-PARC accelerators is being developed now
mainly at JAERI Tokai site. The equipment used for the development of EPICS
software at KEK has been transported to the Central Control Building at the
Tokai site. The environment for EPICS software development is being
improved. Some members have moved their offices and work places
from the Tsukuba site to the Tokai site.

9.<<J-PARC Information System Group >>
                              by Toshio HIRAYAMA and Setsuya KAWABATA

       .CONNECTING TO Super-SINET.

          The "Information system group" was organized to design, construct
and maintain IT infrastructure for J-PARC in the operation phase. Also,
since 2002 the network called JLAN supporting J-PARC construction has been
serviced and maintained by the same group. JLAN connects the Tokai campus
and Tsukuba campuses with a 100Mbps-dedicated line so far and provides
computer networks to about three hundred computer hosts utilized for the
J-PARC at the time of June 2005.

          On July 15th JAERI and KEK successfully invited a Super-SINET node
to the Tokai campus. Super-SINET is an ultrahigh-speed network for Japanese
academic research. ( http://www.sinet.ad.jp/english/index.html )
In the near future, JLAN will be connected to the Super-SINET
backbone network with a 2.4Gbps bandwidth and it will be available for
JLAN users.

          Thus, the Information system group successively supports IT
infrastructure from J-PARC construction phase to the operation
phase. In October 2006, we plan to reconfigure JLAN to the new more
advanced network.

10. Announcement of Symposia and Meetings
   .WINS2005, Workshop on Inelastic Neutron Spectrometer, in Australia,
    5-6 December
         Contact: shamoto@neutrons.tokai.jaeri.go.jp

11. Editorial Note

If you wish to receive, write one sentence in the body of the message
as

                 "subscribe news-l".

You can get a help with a sentence of "help" in the body.
Information on the project can be also obtained at the Web site:

                 http://j-parc.jp/index-e.html

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

        Editorial Board:
             Masatoshi ARAI (chair): masatoshi.arai@kek.jp
             Koji YOSHIMURA koji.yoshimura@kek.jp
             Yujiro IKEDA: ikeda@cens.tokai.jaeri.go.jp
             Nobuo OUCHI ouchi@linac.tokai.jaeri.go.jp
             Shinya SAWADA: shinya.sawada@kek.jp
        English Editor:
             Dick Mischke mischke@triumf.ca

--
| Shin'ya Sawada    (Email: shinya.sawada@kek.jp)      |
| JHF Project Office                                   |